In case it was a kernel problem (I have also had a kernel update since I
last rebooted, from 4.15.0-42 to -43), I installed the latest HWE 18.04
kernel, but that did not help.

I should note that in fact the screen shield *does* sometimes activate;
but when it does, pressing a key reveals only the grey background, not
the login dialog.

Another potential culprit might be gdm3, but of course there has been no
update to that package recently.

  Lock screen stopped working

  With the update to 3.28.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.4, on two separate machines,
  the lock screen stopped working properly.

  When I enter lock, either manually (by clicking the lock screen icon)
  or automatically (by waiting for the lock screen timeout), the screen
  either freezes with the desktop still showing, or shoes the same grey
  background as the login screen; it does not show the normal lock
  screen image.

  Pressing a key such as space, which would normally raise the screen
  shield and reveal the login dialog, has no effect.

  Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 switches to the login dialog.

  I can then log in successfully, but all GNOME shell extensions are
  disabled.

  (A simple workaround is then to restart gnome-shell with the "r"
  command from the "Enter a command" dialog.)

  I am marking this bug as a security vulnerability because in the case
  that the screen simply freezes, confidential information may be
  displayed by the failure of the screen shield to activate.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.28.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.4
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME