I notice that if I use the mouse to deactivate the screen saver, I do
still see the screen shield, so that appears to be working normally.
When the shield lifts, I get the "login screen without login widget"
described above.

  Desktop is not restored correctly after screen saver

  With the update to 3.28.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.4, on two separate machines,
  the screen saver stopped working properly.

  When the screen is locked manually (by clicking the lock screen icon),
  the screen either freezes with the desktop still showing, or shows the
  same grey background as the login screen; it does not show the normal
  lock screen image.

  When the screen saver is activated automatically, the screen turns off
  as normal, but when I press a key, the grey background as for the
  login screen is shown (in fact, it's the same as the login screen, but
  without the login widget; that is, the normal icons are shown at the
  top of the screen).

  Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 switches to the login dialog.

  I can then log in successfully, but all GNOME shell extensions are
  disabled.

  (A simple workaround is then to restart gnome-shell with the "r"
  command from the "Enter a command" dialog.)

  I am marking this bug as a security vulnerability because in the case
  that the screen simply freezes, confidential information may be
  displayed by the failure of the screen shield to activate.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.28.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.4
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME