> Does using a Wayland session avoid the bug?

Yes, I see no tearing in Totem (or Chrome) when using Wayland. (Note:
after uninstalling the Nvidia drivers (`apt purge nvidia-driver-410 &&
apt autoremove --purge`), I have to boot with `nouveau.modeset=0`,
otherwise boot hangs at Plymouth after entering my disk encryption
password.)

In Wayland, xrandr prints the following:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
XWAYLAND0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
340mm x 190mm
   1920x1080     59.96*+

> Also, what shell are you using?

If you mean shell-as-in-graphical, and I understand correctly what that
means, then I'm using i3wm. If you mean shell-as-in-CLI, then bash.

  Tearing and/or flickering when using Intel graphics

Status in totem package in Ubuntu:

  When using Intel graphics on my hybrid Nvidia laptop, videos in Totem
  have awful tearing/flickering which makes them essentially
  unwatchable.

  With default X settings, I get tearing across the top of the screen
  (but I also get very noticeable tearing in other applications); if I
  enable TearFree (which eliminates tearing in Chrome), the tearing
  turns into jagged black flickers which extend from the top of the
  screen right down to near the bottom of the screen on some frames.

  The flickers are visible in screenshots, so I have attached one.

  Ubuntu version: Ubuntu 18.04.1
  Totem version: 3.26.0-0ubuntu6.1