That is intentionally done by NM to prevent leaking DNS queries. Which
is privacy sensitive (ie. do _not_ use "public" dns, to query VPN
encrypted hostnames).

If you do not want to use router configured DNS servers, you can specify
per-connection DNS server overrides in network-manager, which is imho
what you should be doing.

Ie. wipe the resolved.conf settings of DNS=, go into system settings
into each of your connections (ie. the wlan & ethernet one) and in
ipv4/ipv6 tabs, turns of DNS automatic, and specify manual DNS servers
there. Then NM will push those to resolved (note you will need to
reconnect).

It's best to use per-connection DNS servers, and specifically per
connection DNS overrides and configure that all in NM. Do not override /
provide fallbacks in resolved.conf. It is poor taste.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  resolved uses only per-link dns servers

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I configured multiple DNS servers in the DNS= option. The manual page
  says:

  "DNS requests are sent to one of the listed DNS servers in parallel to
  suitable per-link DNS servers"

  What I see however, is that each DNS request is sent twice to the same
  server, e.g.:

  connect(15, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.0.1")}, 16) = 0
  connect(16, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.0.1")}, 16) = 0

  If a per-link server is pushed by network-manager, it's always that
  one. Since my per-link server can lag a lot, that is annoying.