Hey Daniel,

Yeah, at the beginning of this all, I thought it was taking a long time to
boot as well, but even after letting the system sit at the purple screen
for quite some time, it never went anywhere.  I had a though that my
ancient laptop might simply be too old to properly run Ubuntu, but I was
optimistic.  What's strange is that after it crashes, it boots entirely
normally, and runs very well without any lag or video issues at all.

I'll chalk this up to being a bug related to my system being quite old.

Do you still want that new boot log after 15 minutes of waiting?

Thanks

Alex

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 8:40 PM Daniel van Vugt <
daniel.van.v...@canonical.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> It's unclear how long this bug will take to get resolved, if at all.
> Even if you find the machine does start up after 15 minutes or so, it
> might not perform well enough to be usable.
>
> If you would like to use Ubuntu on it then maybe the lighter weight
> Lubuntu is a better solution right now:
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/18.04/release/lubuntu-18.04.1
> -desktop-amd64.iso
> <http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/18.04/release/lubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso>
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1811599
>
> Title:
>   When booting, the computer hangs at a purple screen and no login
>   prompt is ever displayed [Apple Macbook 2,1 - Intel GMA 950]
>
> Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
>   Incomplete
> Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
>   Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
>   After a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04.1, on its first boot, the
>   computer hung at a purple screen.  No login prompt was ever displayed.
>   After holding the power button, the computer boot into Ubuntu without
>   difficulty.  I applied the workaround described in bug 1727356,
>   uncommenting WaylandEnable=False and rebooted the machine, but it
>   again hung at the purple screen.
>
>   ProblemType: Bug
>   DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
>   Package: gdm3 3.28.3-0ubuntu18.04.3
>   ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-43.46-generic 4.15.18
>   Uname: Linux 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64
>   ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
>   Architecture: amd64
>   CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
>   Date: Sun Jan 13 10:59:26 2019
>   InstallationDate: Installed on 2019-01-11 (2 days ago)
>   InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
> (20180725)
>   ProcEnviron:
>    TERM=xterm-256color
>    PATH=(custom, no user)
>    XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
>    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>    SHELL=/bin/bash
>   SourcePackage: gdm3
>   UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>   mtime.conffile..etc.gdm3.custom.conf: 2019-01-11T10:47:37.073441
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

Alexander A Theiler, MHS, MS, PA-C
CAQ in Emergency Medicine

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.