Tested with GNOME nautilus 3.26.4 and the bug no longer occur

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  copy directory to USB Hdd is extremly slow

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I used Nautilus to copy a data folder (~50 GB) to a USB Hdd. After
  waiting one day I aborted the copy process, as only a little more than
  half the data was transferred. I made a screenshot before aborting the
  copy process and attached it to the bug report.

  With the cp command it just took about 1h to copy the whole directory.

  The huge difference make nautilus unusable for big file transfers.

  A rough overview of the directory content:
  * source code and build (47 GB)
  * cd images (3 GB)
  * binaries (500 MB)
  * java api doc (350 MB)
  * documents, pictures, music (300 MB)

  Package: nautilus 1:3.5.90.really.3.4.2-0ubuntu4.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-28.48-generic 3.5.7.9
  Date: Thu May 16 19:33:53 2013
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry'
b"'800x550+564+189'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64 (20121017.5)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)