That will only come out with newer gnome versions, so this would only be
fixed in 20.04 if you're using LTS releases. I'm running the original
patch with no issues, so maybe it would be nice to just add that to the
current package?

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  Files opened with gedit on command line no longer open within the
  existing gedit session

Status in gedit:
  Unknown
Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:

  Prior to my update today to Ubuntu 16.04, I could open a file using
  gedit on the command line and it would open in the gedit window i
  already have open. After updating to 16.04 when I open a file with say
  `gedit /tmp/myleakycode.c` it opens in a new window.

  Oddly, as I was writing this bug report it's now working I expect it
  to, where opening files on the CLI adds to my existing session.

  I'll follow up if I find some pattern as to what triggers this.

  I am running Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 with the 4.4.0-21-generic kernel,
  gedit 3.18.3, terminator 0.98 to open the files.

  Package: gedit 3.18.3-0ubuntu4
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME