> Do you still see that problem in newer Ubuntu versions?

I see it in 16.04 (as in the report) which is LTS and still supposed to
be supported.

I haven't tested any later version.

I can't upgrade to 18.04 because of #1164016 which renders Nautilus
completely unusable.

  Left panel flickers like crazy during several seconds after deleting a
  bunch of files

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  I have no idea if there are some requirements to trigger this issue,
  so I don't know whether you'll be able to reproduce it by just
  following my steps.

  Anyway, I can reproduce it 100% of the times:

  1. Open some folder in Nautilus
  2. Select a few files. Make sure you select quite a few
  3. Delete them by pressing the DEL key

  Expected:
  Nothing, a part from the files being deleted and disappearing from the
displayed folder contents.

  Observed:
  During a few seconds after you hit Delete (I guess the time it takes to move
the files to Trash and do some associated action, which by the way I don't know
what it is that can take so long when deleting just a handful of files), the
items in the list of shortcuts in the left panel (see screenshot) start
flickering frantically, like crazy. It's pathetic.

  It looks like the item called "Networks", just below "Trash",
  disappears and reappears several times very quickly, causing all the
  items below it to move down and up, hence the flickering.

  Obviously it makes no sense.

  Note: there's nothing wrong to be appreciated in my screenshot, it
  just indicates where the flickering happens.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu6
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.18
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Sep 13 19:24:36 2018
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'sidebar-width' b'190'
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'1044x767+374+165'"
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'use-tree-view' b'true'
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order' b"['name', 'size',
'type', 'date_modified', 'date_accessed', 'owner', 'group', 'permissions',
'mime_type', 'where']"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
  SourcePackage: nautilus