I've set up a PPA with Empathy 3.2.2 for those affected by the issue and
looking for a fix: https://launchpad.net/~forage/+archive/empathy

I can confirm that the issue is resolved in this release.

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Unable to access Accounts preferences

Status in Chat app, and Telepathy user interface:
  Incomplete
Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Quite often I'm unable to access the Accounts preferences. If I click
  on "Edit - Accounts" no window will show up, nor do I get an error.

  The file ~/.xsession-errors will contain the following errors for each
  attempt:

  GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance with invalid (NULL) class pointer
  GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion
`G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
  GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to `GtkWindow'
  Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_present_with_time: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW
(window)' failed

  I can't reproduce it 100%, but it usually starts to occur when a
  connection error occurred for one of the accounts and this has been
  reported in the contact list accordingly.

  Package: empathy 3.2.0.1-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-12.20-generic-pae 3.0.4
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: i386