Please disregard comment #2

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Window dimming effect stays after window has gone

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  I have recently noticed that on Ubuntu GNOME 15.04 with GNOME 3.16
  that sometimes if a window pops-up from a program and I go into the
  Activities Overview, that then if that window closes the dimming
  effect that it had on the main window behind it stays no matter what
  you do, unless you manage to open a new pop-up window such as a new
  dialog box and then close it, that seems to remove the dimming, but
  otherwise a restart of the application is required. I have noticed
  this issue with Firefox and VirtualBox, but I am sure that it is not
  application-specific and has something to do with the window
  management or something.

  ---

  OS Information:

      No LSB modules are available.