Since removing
- gnome-shell-extension-multi-monitors
- gnome-shell-extension-system-monitor
The issue is no more triggering.

Thanks as it resolved my issue.
I'm not sure if we can do much more, lets keep it incomplete

  Hang at screen unlock (gdm / 18.04)

  For two days in a row (one would have been a one-off WTF that I don't
  care to report) my system now hang after unlocking from the UI.

  I can't see any obvious hanging processes that would be the obvious
  reason.

  OVer day I have a few screen locks e.g. when going for lunch, but at
  least 2/2 times it only appeared when the lock was active over night.
  I'm not sure it if it the duration or that some job kicks in at night.

  I have used apport to collect the basics, and will add some more debug
  data.

  If you find a lead in there let me know, otherwise assuming I might
  face this every morning please let me know what to check next time it
  happens so that we can find the root cause.

  I found similar bug 1285258 - but other than there I can NOT hit
  cancel to get a second chance, nothing in the UI moves at all and all
  I can do is drop to a non UI console with CTRL+ALT+F3 and debug from
  there.

  I found that restarting gdm (systemctl restart gdm) gets me logged in,
  therefore I'll also attach a journal log so that you can look for
  issues in there.

  Package: gdm3 3.28.3-0ubuntu18.04.3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.18.0-13.14~18.04.1-generic 4.18.17
  Uname: Linux 4.18.0-13-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Jan 25 06:59:10 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: gdm3