> > I do have history turned off, but visit previously visited sites that I do
> > know that TLD for and do not need to search for, thus pressing
> > [Ctrl+]Shift+Enter for .net / .org directly. I see the usefulness in being
> > able to open new windows from the awesome bar, but the .net / .org is still
> > widely enough used TLDs
>
> IME, less so across the globe - that is, if I'm in (say) France, I'd
> probably prefer `.fr`, in South Africa, .za, etc.
>
> The .net/.org shortcut was always hardcoded, and as noted before, no other
> browser has shortcuts for any other domains.
>From a Belgian guy living in Luxembourg and Australia: Nope, you're wrong.
>.com, .net and .org are the most common extensions I type.
>
> > that such autocomplete is desired behavior for some.
> > Any advice on reverting the behavior, or making a toggle between 'TLD
> > autocomplete' and 'open address in new window' possible?
>
> You can control the suffix of `.com` and change it to something else using
> the `browser.fixup.alternate.suffix` pref in about:config , if you like. You
> could also use bookmarks for the sites you use regularly enough that you
> know the TLD, so that you don't need a modifier key at all and can probably
> hit enter sooner (TBH, I suspect this is likely to be an improvement for
> your usecase). As I already said in comment #150, I don't think we'll bring
> back (an option to use) separate modifier keys for .net/.org. Marco, can you
> confirm?
This is still bad.

I all liked the 3 shortcuts. Bring them back. There was no reason to
disable them.

  Inconsistent shortcuts for new tab

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Fix Released
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.5 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

  tab:

   - location bar: <ALT> + <ENTER>
   - GO button: <CTRL> + click
   - search bar: <CTRL> + <ENTER>
   - SEARCH button <ALT> + click
   - links: <SHIFT> + click
   - menu bar: <CTRL> + click
   - BACKWARD/FORWARD button: <CTRL> + click

  This is one of the reasons I'm keeping with Opera. There it is always
  the shift key and I have to remember only one key.

  Thanks for reading!