Does anyone still get that issue in newer versions? If so could you get
a backtrace of nautilus while it's freezing?

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Nautilus freezes accessing Android via MTP when USB debugging enabled

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Nautilus started freezing on me when I tried to access certain folders
  on my Android phone (Sony Xperia P) via MTP, such as the DCIM folder.
  I would have to kill Nautilus and then unplug and reconnect the phone.
  Sometimes after this the phone would be in the list of devices, but
  when I clicked on it no volume would appear.

  Thunar didn't show the same freezing behaviour, but once the volume
  stopped appearing in Nautilus it would stop appearing in Thunar too.

  This behaviour continued even after I did a factory reset on the
  phone. I could not reproduce the behaviour in Windows 7.

  Disabling USB debugging on the phone fixed the problem.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-30.22-lowlatency 3.8.13.6
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-30-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.3
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sun Sep 29 02:14:03 2013
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry'
b"'848x580+0+24'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64
(20130424)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-09-24 (4 days ago)