[Expired for gdm3 (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.

  display goes blank and system hangs after (and sometimes before) gdm3
  login with nvidia-driver-390 and a gtx 970m

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  After entering username and password, gnome3 never loads, and instead
  you are stuck on a blank screen. Switching tty doesn't work. Sometimes
  gdm3 doesn't even load and the blank screen happens before you can try
  to log in. Without a workaround, you are forced to boot into recovery
  mode and purge nvidia, reverting back to nouveau.

  At first glance, this seems similar to this bug:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-
  drivers-390/+bug/1752053/+index?comments=all

  However, none of the solutions listed there work and the workaround is to use
lightdm instead of gdm3:
  sudo apt install lightdm

  If it doesn't ask you to set the default display manager, then do this after,
and set lightdm as the default when prompted:
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3

  After that, the system will boot and let you log in normally.

  This problem is happening on a Clevo laptop without Optimus, with a
  dedicated nvidia gtx 970m device, after installing any of the modern
  nvidia drivers from version 390 onward, from the official repo, from
  the graphics PPA, and I presume also the official driver from the
  nvidia site.

  I tested on both Ubuntu 18.04.1 + updates, and Ubuntu 18.10 + updates.

  I tested with nvidia driver versions 390, 396, and 415.

  gdm3 works fine until you install the nvidia driver.
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.3)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  Package: gdm3 3.30.1-1ubuntu5
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  Tags:  cosmic
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True