If the hardware issues a hotplug irq when the cable is still connected,
there's not much the driver can do, really. We check the link on
hotplug, it's still there, do nothing. The HDMI live status checks that
have been merged *might* help a bit, but otherwise, I'm closing as
WONTFIX.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  Removing HDMI cable will not always resize the desktop

Status in X.Org X server:
  Won't Fix
Status in xserver-xorg-video-intel package in Ubuntu:

  Plugging in an HDMI cable in my laptop will automatically cause Unity
  to resize the desktop to span both screens. Removing the HDMI cable
  will sometimes not automically resize the desktop to return to a
  single screen. xrandr --auto will resize the screen. The graphics card
  is: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller.