It is to do with layers. The example file can be made to work by
ungrouping everything and putting everything to the bottom layer (move
selection to bottom).

The problem occurs when things are forced to top and bottom layers
instead of just promoting the layer of a selected object one at a time.

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  PDF+Latex export creates multipage pdf, pages missing

Status in Inkscape:
  Triaged
Status in inkscape package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in inkscape package in Debian:

  In 0.91 the z-order information in svg is used to create multipage
  PDF+LaTeX documents as per bug 771957. However, for the SVGs I have
  been converting to PDF+LaTeX in this way, the TeX-file instructs to
  load more pages than the PDF has, for example the PDF has only three
  pages and the TeX file also includes page=4. This basically breaks the
  PDF+LaTeX export for me and I have to use EPS+LaTeX + epstopdf
  package.

  The bug occurs on OpenSuse 13.1 and Windows 8.1.

  Attached a zip file with two svg files and their broken PDF+LaTeX
  counterparts.