Would it be possible for you to boot an older kernel?

  latest systemd, network-manager, kernel updates killed networking

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Latest network-manager, systemd, kernel-updates killed ethernet
  networking. It is impossible to have an address assigned.

  I can make sure hardware is ok, by booting into SystemRescueCD.
  Ethernet immediately is up and working. As soon as I boot into Ubuntu
  18.10 networking with ethernet stops working at all. Even trying to
  set it up manually using "ip" or "ifconfig" does not help. Modules
  seem loaded, but not functional.

  Unsure if it is kernel, systemd, or network-manager related.