After you reinstall the older version of ghostscript, you may want to
prevent them from having their updates from being automatically picked
up by using:

sudo apt-mark hold <name of package>

For example:
sudo apt-mark hold ghostscript=9.22~dfsg+1-0ubuntu1

If you have a different package manager change apt to correspond with
it.

Packages, which is subscribed to ghostscript in Ubuntu.

  GhostScript Update causes Blue Background

Status in ghostscript package in Ubuntu:

  I am running 64 bit Linux Mint 19.1, the Cinnamon desktop 4.0.9, with
  kernel 4.15.0-45-generic.

  Two days ago an update to ghostscript dated 20 FEB 2019 appeared, and
  was applied to two of my machines (One is an Intel and one is an AMD,
  but both are kept fully updated) that share a networked HP OfficeJet
  6700 Printer.

  At some point following the update, I happened to print a document,
  and ended up with a blue background on every page, even otherwise
  blank second sides. This occured regardless of a variety of
  originating applications I used, such as LibreOffice, various text
  editors, and even the CUPS "print test page" option.

  It took me a while to troubleshoot this on that first machine (trying
  different apps, reinstalling CUPS and so forth) until I realized the
  new ghostscript update was the issue and that (after trying to print
  from the second machine) it was affecting both machines.

  I should note that, using the "non-CUPS" appearance of the same
  printer, no blue background is present, but of course this provides no
  features like ink-level reporting, dual-sided printing, etc.

  I "restored" the ghostscript stuff from the last Timeshift backup and
  that cured the issue but I think this is a serious matter that should
  be addressed immediately (not the least because it's hard to read
  black text on a blue background and it wastes a lot of ink).

  I first posted this at
  <https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=288613#p1598888>
  and then sent an e-mail to marc.deslauri...@ubuntu.com (whose name was
  on the update information) who advised me to post this bug here.