I have a theory, and it isust a theory...

The hotkey to change desktops is Ctrl+Alt+UP/DOWN
The hotkey on the Android emulator to pinch zoom is Ctrl+Alt with mouse drag.

When the emulator is the active window, and you press Ctrl+Alt, then a
graphic appears on the emulator showing the pinch zoom function.  This
graphic is often left on the display as an artefact overlayed on the new
desktop, when the crash occurs.

As I said, just a theory, and I don't want to point anyone in the wrong
direction :)

  [bionic][regression] gnome-shell crashes with SIGSEGV in
  meta_window_actor_is_destroyed(self=NULL) called from
  _switchWorkspaceDone() [windowManager.js:1787]

Status in gjs package in Ubuntu:
Status in gjs source package in Bionic:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-shell source package in Bionic:

  https://errors.ubuntu.com/problem/cb400a6f83ed57af8bb117cf84d5ed6d7e2ffcee
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/927

  Switching workspace with the Android Emulator running will blink the
  screen as if gnome restarted, if I switch workspace one more time, it
  will completely crash and I will need to log in again.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.28.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.4
  Uname: Linux 4.20.3-acso x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Jan 19 20:05:34 2019
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'favorite-apps' redacted by apport
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'gtk-im-module' b"'gtk-im-context-simple'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell