I am able to make this work by first stopping and then restarting the
"gnome-documents" process. Search results from GNOME Shell will then be
opened in Documents as expected. Unfortunately, after a few searches,
Documents will crash and searching from g-s will no longer work.

I suspect that this is a Gnome Documents bug. However, Gnome Documents
in itself will not crash unless it is accessed from GNOME Shell search
results.

  Document search does not work

  2. 3.28.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.4
  3. I expect to be able to search document by content from the gnome shell
("Type to search..."). The option is enabled from settings.
  4. Nothing happens. No documents are retrieved.

  I get the following error message in logs repeatedly:

  "Wrong number of result metas returned by search provider
  org.gnome.Documents.desktop: expected 5 but got 0"

  gnome-documents also gives this:
  "JS ERROR: GLib.Error g-invoke-error-quark: Could not locate
gd_filename_strip_extension: (null)"