Similar error here.
Can copy file from Phone folder, but if I try to access Camera folder (inside
DCIM folder), Nemo shows this error after some time processing.

Packages, which is subscribed to libmtp in Ubuntu.

  libmtp error could not get object handles

Status in libmtp package in Ubuntu:

  When connecting my android galaxy s7 phone via usb, I am unable to
  access my Music folder, which contains 380 subfolders.  The file
  manager is inactive for a long time, and finally displays the error:

  Sorry, could not display all the contents of "Music": libmtp error:
  could not get object handles.

  Adding one more subfolder on the android side seems to work around the
  issue, so the issue is related to the number of items.

  Given this, my issue appears to be a specific example of the issue described
in the link below.
  https://sourceforge.net/p/libmtp/bugs/1808/

  Observed in linux mint 18.3 64 bit / ubuntu 16.04