As neither Chrome/Chromium or Firefox has any real interest in Linux
support can we get Ubuntu to apply the patch? The patch has existed for
5 years already.

Even a partial solution where its built in but you still have to enable
it in config would be fine. Having to hunt down a ppa to get working
video in 2019 on Linux is absurd.

Otherwise users would be much better off moving to another distro that
supports it such as Arch, Fedora, etc as noted above.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Web browsers lacking hardware-accelerated video decoding

Status in Chromium Browser:
  Unknown
Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  New
Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in chromium-browser package in CentOS:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  The chromium team has done a great job to totally disable hardware
  decoding on Linux.

  Even ignoring the GPU blacklist does not enable GPU decoding.

  How ever the patch is quite simple and it's already working using this
  PPA ( using libVA ) :

  https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+archive/ubuntu/chromium-dev

  the corresponding patch is here :

  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/chromium-browser/chromium-
  browser.trusty.beta/view/head:/debian/patches/enable_vaapi_on_linux.diff

  that would be great if we could have this patch indefault Ubuntu
  chromium build, this situation is really sad right now, google use
  linux to make chromeOS so chromebook are really good at playing videos
  but GNU/Linux chromium is slow at doing it.