Yeah, this is a known issue, ideally the driver should advertize weather
the randr transformations are supported or not, and nvidia driver says
so, while isn't true actually.

So, we'd need to probably filter out nvidia from this, or wait nvidia to
fix this.

Something like this https://askubuntu.com/questions/704503/scale-2x2-in-
xrandr-causes-the-monitor-to-not-display-anything has some solutions,
but I had nothing like that working in my system.

If you can get that working, then probably we can figure out another
solution.

  [nvidia] All on screen text is tiny. Icons are normal size but text is
  nearly unreadable.

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-418 package in Ubuntu:

  Recently upgraded to Disco beta.

  Running a 1080p screen at 100% scaling.

  uname -a  :
  Linux giga 5.0.0-8-generic #9-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 12 21:58:11 UTC 2019 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  Graphics card : GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
  Drivers version:  Nvidia-Driver-418

  Not 100% sure this is a Gnome-Shell issue (Not sure if this is the correct
package to log it against) or an "Idiot User" issue. As I've upgraded this
system for the past 3 releases (18.02, 18.10 & 19.04 beta) without a clean
install between upgrades.

  When I reboot, all on screen text is tiny. Icons are normal size but text is
nearly unreadable. This also effects any text input boxes (i.e. user password)
  Text in "Show Applications" screen is also effected.

  *Workaroud*

  Only work around for the desktop is to go in to "Settings" then
  "Devices" then Adjust the scaling to 200%, hit Apply, then press
  "Revert Changes", this resets the scaling to normal.

  This does not fix the scaling in the "Show Applications" screen.

  Attached images in Scaling_Issues.zip :
  Image of text scaling after reboot : Scaling_Small.png
  Image after the "workaround" to show how it should look like:
Scaling_Normal.png
  Image of "Show Applications" screen which is still effected :
Applications_Small.png

  Package: gnome-shell 3.32.0-1ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair nvidia_modeset
nvidia
  Date: Sun Mar 31 16:00:21 2019
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'app-picker-view' b'uint32 1'
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'favorite-apps' redacted by apport
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'enabled-extensions' b"['ubuntu-d...@ubuntu.com',
'ubuntu-appindicat...@ubuntu.com', 'openweather-extens...@jenslody.de',
'desktop-icons@csoriano']"
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'gtk-im-module' b"'gtk-im-context-simple'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to disco on 2019-03-29 (1 days ago)