this is still an issue in bionic and adding the username/password to the
URI isn't working for me

Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.

  Adding cups networking printer which requires auth: "held for
  authentication"

Status in system-config-printer package in Ubuntu:

  I'm trying to use a cups network printer over ipp which requires
  authentication. I can easily add the printer (System Settings -
  Printer Configuration - New Printer) but as soon as I want to print
  something the print job get hold. The printer applet lists the job
  with "held for authentication". But no user/pass input form opening or
  available.

  Workaround: stop cups, edit printers.conf, hardcode user+pass in the
  printer-uri and start cups again...