This bug was fixed in the package im-config - 0.34-1ubuntu1.3

---------------
im-config (0.34-1ubuntu1.3) bionic-proposed; urgency=medium

  * debian/patches/dont-set-GTK_IM_MODULE-on-wayland.patch:
    - Don't set GTK_IM_MODULE if IBus on Wayland session
      (LP: #1816808). (The regression, which caused the reversal of
      this same patch in version 0.34-1ubuntu1.2, has now been fixed.)

 -- Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunna...@ubuntu.com>  Wed, 03 Apr 2019 19:07:00
+0200

** Changed in: im-config (Ubuntu Bionic)

Packages, which is subscribed to im-config in Ubuntu.

  [disco] OSK does not appear under wayland when a text-entry is focused

Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in im-config source package in Bionic:

  [Impact]

  OSK does not work properly in Wayland sessions. Besides not showing
  up, as reported in this bug report, certain characters can't be typed
  (bug #1761554).

  The proposed upload unset's the GTK_IM_MODULE variable, which fixes
  the issues.

  [Test Case]

  To confirm that the OSK works properly:

  1. Install im-config from bionic-proposed and reboot

  2. Log in to an Ubuntu on Wayland session

  3. Open gedit and enable the screen keyboard
     (Settings -> Universal Access -> Typing)

  4. When OSK shows up, confirm that you can enter accented characters
     via long-press.
     Example: long-press a and select à from the popup

     Also, confirm that certain keys for special characters result in
     correct characters. Examples: ~, √, ÷, ×, <, >, ¢

  [Fix]

  A proposed fix has been uploaded to the bionic queue.

  [Regression Potential]

  Well, this very fix did cause a regression a few months ago;
  LibreOffice and the GNOME search bar crashed when trying to use IBus
  input methods. Those issues have now been fixed.

  The change is only made for Wayland sessions, which is not default in
  18.04. Given this limitation, the regression risk is deemed to be low.

  [Original description]

  1. Login in a wayland session
  2. Open an application with a text entry (e.g. gedit)
  3. Focus gedit using the touch screen

  Expected result:
  The OSK appears

  Actual results:
  The OSK does not appear.

  ---

  This is caused by the fact that we still set GTK_IM_MODULE in Wayland.
  IIRC during the cosmic cycle we introduced a change to not set
  GTK_IM_MODULE under Wayland but we dropped it because there were users
  experiencing crashes when using libreoffice: upstream should have
  fixed those crashes to my knowledge.

  ----

  Also why are we setting GTK_IM_MODULE in X11 too? gnome-settings-
  daemon should be smart enough to load/unload that at run-time when
  required/not-required.