We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to review all
reported bugs in a timely manner. You reported this bug some time ago
and there have been many changes in Ubuntu since that time.

Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) reached end-of-life on April 28, 2017.

Do you still see a problem related to the one that you reported in a
currently supported version of Ubuntu? Please let us know if you do
otherwise this report can be left to expire in approximately 60 days
time.

Thank you for helping make Ubuntu better.

Paul White
[Ubuntu Bug Squad]

** Changed in: totem (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  ".O" or ".Z" in folder = Could not open location; you might not have
  permission to open the file

Status in totem package in Ubuntu:

  You can open folders using totem if you right-click a folder  > open with >
totem (movie player).
  There is a problem however, if you try and open a folder that ends with ".o"
or ".z" (capital or lower letters)

  How to reproduce: Rename a folder to "Myfolder.O" and try to open it
  with totem using right-click.

  MyfolderO opens fine.
  Myfolder.O causes an error:  An error occurred -- Could not open location;
you might not have permission to open the file.

  Package: libgstreamer0.10-0 0.10.36-1ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia