Public bug reported:

Version: 3.28.3

I managed to format my system drive to NTFS by accident, the UI did
nothing to prevent it or even warn me.

Last week I was formatting a thumb drive to NTFS. I forgot to select it
and my system NVME was selected. I noticed it after I created the NTFS
partition but it made no sense since my laptop was running well... I
though: it must be a bug in the UI and nothing serious. I'm used to
partition programs that allow you to design the partitions and then you
click a button to actually write your desired partition map.

End result: My system NVME was formatted to NTFS, grub was still present
in the drive. I though I had my boot damaged but no: I lost all my data.

Can we make the argument: Is the user an idiot?
Yes.

Does Gnome Disks UI is UX friendly?
No.

Does it prevents the user from formatting the system partition/drive or
mistakes in general?
No.

I believe Gnome Disks must warn/prevent the user from formatting the system
drive.
The fact the partition is created right away without a second step makes
mistakes very easy.

** Affects: gnome-disk-utility (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-disk-utility in Ubuntu.

  UI allows dangerous mistakes

Status in gnome-disk-utility package in Ubuntu: