I'm marking this as a duplicate of a much later report, bug 1653351,
which has not only been reported upstream but is also urrently being
discussed there.

   Have option to not automatically open next email

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  thunderbird marks mail as read after a delete

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  2.0.0.8~pre071022+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.7.10

  I hate that I can't disable thunderbird marking mail as read, but
  that's an issue for mozilla to never get around to changing.  Anyway,
  I currently have "Wait 60 seconds before marking messages as read"
  checked in Advanced>General prefs. (60 is the number I filled in).
  This seems to work fine when I manually select a message, however if I
  delete a message, it fails to keep the next message to be selected
  from being read.

  - Have 2 unread messages in inbox
  - Select the newest, hit Delete
  - Tbird should remove this message, and select and display the next oldest
message
  - The newly selected message is immediately marked as read.  Why? No idea.