I don't think it's *-control-center.

At the time, that was filed there by pitti, who correctly pointed out
that something might need to depend on libnss-myhostname (from systemd)
for a fallback to resolving hostname via just /etc/hostname (since
/etc/hosts isn't changed). At this point though, it looks like this is
no longer required.

Now, AFAICT the desktop correctly calls to systemd via dbus to ask for
the change. I'll leave to you to make sure this is indeed the case
(since you had commented on the bug previously, and I can't see any
issues changing hostname as it is now, but maybe I'm not quite doing the
same tests you were).

unity-control-center is an obvious Won't Fix for Eoan or Disco, but I'll
let the Desktop Team decide whether this needs to be fixed in other
releases.

Finally, this is still assigned to systemd, low priority, because
hostnamed *doesn't* change /etc/hosts, and probably should (at the very
least for consistency, to avoid keeping a reference to an old name for
the system); but I didn't notice ill effects from not changing that
file. sudo certainly doesn't hang here trying to resolve the new or old
hostname.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-control-center in Ubuntu.

  [hostnamed] Changing hostname doesn't update /etc/hosts

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in unity-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in gnome-control-center source package in Xenial:
  New
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  Triaged
Status in unity-control-center source package in Xenial:
  New
Status in gnome-control-center package in Debian:

  GUI
  ---
  1a. Run sudo gnome-control-center, or...
  1b. Save the gnome-control-center.pkla from
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/gnome-control-center/ubuntu/revision/556
 to /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/ and then run
gnome-control-center as an admin user

  2. Enter the Details panel
  3. The "Device name" (hostname) text field should be editable; change the
text to something else.
  4. The hostname is updated instantly which can be verified by looking in
/etc/hostname. However /etc/hosts/ is not updated.

  Command line
  hostnamectl set-hostname

  The hostnamed documentation at
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/hostnamed says
  "To properly handle name lookups with changing local hostnames without having
to edit /etc/hosts for them we recommend using hostnamed in combination with
nss-myhostname: http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/nss-myhostname/ "

  Without /etc/hosts being handled correctly, the hostnamed integration
  is only half-working.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu18