Turns out I already reported this on the GNOME gitlab a while back but
have had no reply. I've updated it with the new information I've
learned. Here is the link: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-
shell/issues/865

I've looked at the commit but it's not immediately obvious to me why it
isn't working or if it is even related to this commit. But I'll look it
it more over the weekend.

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues #865
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/865

  GNOME control center UI does not update dconf setting for magnifier
  mouse tracking m ode

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  If you attempt to change the mouse cursor tracking mode in the gnome
  control centre UI for the gnome magnifier the radio buttons have no
  effect. If yous use dconf-editor to manual change the option at:
  org.gnome.desktop.a11y.magnifier.mouse-tracking the setting will have
  an effect.

  To reproduce
  * Open gnome control centre and select universal access.
  * Click on Zoom.
  * Toggle between "Keep the mouse cursor centred" and the other two options
(proportional and push).
  * If you enable Zoom and change these settings they have no effect.
  * Open dconf-editor.
  * Navigate to:

      org/gnome/desktop/a11y/magnifier/

  * Select the mouse tracking entry and change the setting to different
  values while the Zoom is enabled. The setting will change the way the
  mouse tracking behaves.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.32.1-1ubuntu4.1
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME