Public bug reported:

I have a wifi network to which sometimes I connected and stored the password.
I am connected to the wired ethernet network.

Expected: shouldn't ever connect to any available wifi while I'm
connected to wired.

Observed: sometimes, randomly, it automatically connects to the wifi
despite the fact I'm already connected to wired. As a result, I am then
connected to both.

Also, it does so at a completely random time: I've been here for hours,
the wifi has been available for hours, I've been connected to the wired
network all the time, nothing special has happened, I haven't restarted
the commputer or logged out and in or anyhthing (I don't know if the
wifi has become unavailable for a very short interval of time and then
available again, it's unlikely and it wouldn't in any way justify the
behavior), yet for some reason, NOW my computer decides to connect to
the wifi (which it shouldn't anyway for any reason).

ADDITIONALLY:

After that, I explicitly manually disconnect from that wifi network.
When I do this, I expect that the setting to automatically reconnect to
this wifi network when available is turned off (otherwise, every time
you disconnect from a network, it would reconnect immediately). I'm
pretty sure this used to work.

But then, the same as described above happened AGAIN: that is, I was
connected to the wired network (had been for hours), and suddenly it
automatically connected to the same wifi network as above (again, been
available forever), which it shouldn't even if it was set to
automatically connect whern available (given it's connected to wired),
but it isn't even more nonsensical given that I had previously manually
disconnected from it so it should not be set to reconnect automatically.

This has started happening recently.

Package: network-manager 1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.3
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.18
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: Unity
Date: Tue Jun  4 18:35:11 2019
IfupdownConfig:
 # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
 auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
IpRoute:
 default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0  proto static  metric 100
 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.37  metric 100
NetworkManager.state:
 [main]
 NetworkingEnabled=true
 WirelessEnabled=true
 WWANEnabled=true
 WimaxEnabled=true
SourcePackage: network-manager
mtime.conffile..etc.NetworkManager.NetworkManager.conf:
2015-02-20T16:52:59.722501
nmcli-dev:
 DEVICE  TYPE      STATE         DBUS-PATH
CONNECTION          CON-UUID                              CON-PATH

 eth0    ethernet  connected     /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1
Wired connection 1  662a0c09-71a8-4101-9236-ebcc1696d69a
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/2
 wlan0   wifi      disconnected  /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0  --
                --                                    --

 lo      loopback  unmanaged     /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2  --
                --                                    --
nmcli-nm:
 RUNNING  VERSION  STATE      STARTUP  CONNECTIVITY  NETWORKING  WIFI-HW  WIFI
   WWAN-HW  WWAN
 running  1.2.6    connected  started  full          enabled     enabled
enabled  enabled  enabled

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug third-party-packages xenial

  Automatically connects to wifi though already connected to wired; plus
  even if previously explicitly disconnected from wifi

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Date: Tue Jun  4 18:35:11 2019
  IfupdownConfig:
[...]