https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribuci%C3%B3n_del_teclado#/media/Archivo:KB_Spanish.svg

  Deleting "Input Sources" not in use, affects the ones in use.

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I have a notebook, with an english keyboard layout, so "English (Us,
  intl, with dead keys) was my only option in "Region & Language / Input
  Sources".

  Now I want to use an external keyboard, which has a spanish
  distribution, so I tried adding "Spanish" (Let's call it "es1") to my
  "Input Sources" list. This is not quite my distribution, so I added a
  few more to try: "Spanish (with Sun Dead keys)" (es2), "Spanish (Latin
  American, with Sun dead keys)" (es3) and "Spanish (Win keys)" (es4).

  So after trying all this 4 options in spanish layouts, I decided that
  I want to use the (es4) option, because it fits my keyboard exactly,
  and I won't be needing any of the others spanish options. Just want to
  keep one for english and one for spanish.

  Now comes the strange behaviour: while "es4" is still my layout option
  in use, I go to "Input Sources" configuration and delete the input
  sources I won't be using (es1, es2 and es3). After deleting, I only
  have two options, one for english and one for spanish. The available
  keyboard layout for spanish is the same one I chose before, "Spanish
  (Win keys), but after deleting the other ones, this layout doesn't fit
  my keyboard any more. Some keys don't give me the same characters as
  they did when I was trying all the options and had the others layouts
  installed, but not in use.

  I've also noticed that installing a keyboard layout behaves different
  depending on whether there are other layouts installed or not.  For
  example, if I install and use "Spanish" layout, when there is only
  "English" I don't get the same results if I install and use it when
  there are other "Spanish input sources" already installed.

  Cheers

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.4
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: communitheme:ubuntu:GNOME