Today after taking snapshots with Timeshift, I upgraded VirtualBox from
10.0.8 to 10.0.10 and also upgraded the Guest Additions to the same
version.  I then upgraded Ubuntu 18.04 to the latest patches as of
today, INCLUDING the two mutter-2 patches that were causing the GUI
login not to appear after a reboot.

The system was rebooted after the installation of the patches above, and
the GUI login came up as it normally should.

As far as I'm concerned, this bug can be CLOSED.  Thank you.

  gnome-control-center crash ubuntu 18.04.2

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 18.04.02 fresh installed on Virtualbox 6.0.8 including Guest
  Additions on host Mac Pro running 10.14.5 Mojave in April 2019.
  Ubuntu system has latest patches EXCEPT mutter-2 (which cause login
  GUI to fail after reboot).

  crash logs for gnome-control-center, gnome-shell and seahorse attached