** Summary changed:

- Workflow for changing monitor configuration is misleading
+ Apply button should be inactivated if there are no changes to apply

** Tags added: precise

  Apply button should be inactivated if there are no changes to apply

Status in GNOME Control Center:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-control-center

  The Apply button for the screen resolution config applet should be
  disabled when the user hasn't changed anything. Or, alternatively, the
  Apply button should not do anything if the user did not change any
  setting. The issue is that having it enabled leads to the following
  endless cycle:

  1. Open the Screen resolution config applet from System/Preferences
  2. Change the settings of some monitor
  3. Click apply
  4. Screens are configured correctly
  5. Click "maintain configuration" in the countdown dialog that pops up
  6. The config applet is still displayed, with the Apply button enabled
  7. Not sure what I should do, so click apply -> GOTO 5

  This actually happened to my girlfriend. She was able to setup her external
monitor all right but she said the countdown dialog would pop up over and over,
and that was because she clicked apply over and over...
  This is on Karmic, updated yesterday.