Theoretically this ought to be doable but it sounds like something that
could break a lot of code assumptions and might be a heck of a lot of
work to fully implement and make reliable.  I think a more detailed
justification for this is needed.

jerzyo, if you're still around could you please explain in more detail
why people would want this and how they'd make use of it?

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  Allow displaying different virtual desktops on different devices

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome

  When I plug in a monitor to my notebook (ubuntu 9.04) I can mirror my
  image or enlarge my desktop to display something on the second device
  with gnome-display-properties.

  I think that it should be possible to display different virtual
  desktops on different devices. If I have 4 virtual desktops, I should
  be able to display first desktop on one device, second desktop on
  another one etc. I should also be able to change displays on different
  devices separately.