I assume the point is that they want to have mirroring but still run
each display at their native resolution.

The clipping on the smaller monitor would likely be quite confusing,
although perhaps if panning is utilized the setup would be usable.

In any case, I think the use case for this configuration would need to
be made more convincingly before adding it to the GUI config tool.  We
wouldn't want to clutter up the dialog with stuff that few people need
and risk adding complexity and confusion.

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  Multi-monitor support doesn't allow for overlapping displays

Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  Invalid
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Multi-monitor support with System->Preferences->Display does not allow
  a very useful setup, namely to have two monitors with different screen
  size and the same origin.

  When you have a laptop and a larger monitor that is not a projector,
  this is what I generally want. It allows me to quickly detach the
  laptop and continue using it.

  xorg can do it:

  xrandr --output VGA --mode 1920x1200 --pos 0x0 --output LVDS  --mode
  1680x1050 --pos 0x0

  When I do that in a command shell, the display application shows the
  overlapping screens. But as soon as I move one of them with the mouse,
  I lose: I can no longer position them over each other.

  I realize this is a bug in a specific application, but it really is a
  "paper cut" because it bites people who are new to Ubuntu quickly.