Public bug reported:

ibus-avro, an IBus plugin for inputting Bangla, is a brand new package
in Ubuntu eoan. It's not shown in Ubuntu Software, though, so I dived
into the gnome-software source to see if I could figure out why, and
found src/gs-folders.c. The gs_folders_convert() function in that file
includes some hard coded lists including "sundry_apps". sundry_apps
holds the names of some .desktop files, including a few ibus-
setup-*.desktop files.

As a test I built gnome-software with "ibus-setup-ibus-avro.desktop"
added to sundry_apps. That made a difference - suddenly Ubuntu Software
found ibus-avro.

The conclusion from my investigation is that IBus input methods are
shown in Ubuntu Software if all three of these criteria are met:

1. The package has an AppStream metadata file.

2. The package has an ibus-setup-[engine_name].desktop file in
   /usr/share/applications.

3. The .desktop file is included in the "sundry_apps" list in
   src/gs-folders.c.

I don't know if this is how it's supposed to work, but if it is, the
patch in the linked merge proposal ought to be a proper fix (and should
also be upstreamed).

** Affects: gnome-software (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  ibus-avro not shown in Ubuntu Software

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description: