** Description changed:

- Xubuntu 18.04 installed on a new Lenovo IdeaPad 330S; system is up to date (I
run Software Updater pretty much daily).
+ Xubuntu 18.04 installed on a new Lenovo IdeaPad 330S; system is up to date (I
run Software Updater pretty much daily).
  lsb_release -rd tells me:
  Release:      18.04

  I am connected to the internet via a wireless router and although the
  desktop panel network icon tells me I am always connected to the router,
  every so often the actual internet connection stops working -- as in, I
  am connected to the router, but websites won't load or Firefox will say
  I am offline.

  If I click the network icon on the desktop panel and uncheck and then
  re-check "Enable Networking", the computer reconnects to the router and
  the internet connection works again, at least for a while.

  I cannot discern any specific pattern to this behaviour; it seems to
  happen randomly -- but often enough to be really disruptive.

  Other devices connected to the same router (two Android phones and an
  older laptop running Linux Mint) do not have this problem.

+ EDIT: Even when I do stay connected, the connected speed is often
+ ridiculously slow, at 1 Mb/s -- as opposed to e.g. 144 Mb/s on another
+ device connected to the same router. Restarting the network as above
+ seems to solve the issue for a short while -- although I'm not sure,
+ since clicking on "Connection Information" then lists "Speed" as
+ "Unknown". After a while it then goes back to "1 Mb/s".
+
  My apologies if I didn't report this correctly or left out anything
  important; I am just an end user and not an expert. Please let me know
  if I need to provide any further information.

  wifi connection keeps being dropped: 18.04 on Lenovo IdeaPad

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu: