> Hm, interesting, AZX_DCAPS_POSFIX_LPIB basically sets the position reporting
> based on LPIB instead of the position buffer.  I thought the position buffer
> isn't available or unreliable on non-Intel chips, but it might be different
> on the recent AMD one.

Contrary to what Ernst experienced, removing AZX_DCAPS_POSFIX_LPIB
completely broke audio on my system (ASUS PRIME X470, also 1022:1457),
so I guess it's still unreliable as you mentioned.

Was looking through the pci_ids array in sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c and
noticed that my audio controller (1022:1457) isn't listed.

The only thing I can see that would match is the following, which seems
to be intended for AMD GPUs.

        { PCI_DEVICE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_AMD, PCI_ANY_ID),
          .class = PCI_CLASS_MULTIMEDIA_HD_AUDIO << 8,
          .class_mask = 0xffffff,
          .driver_data = AZX_DRIVER_GENERIC | AZX_DCAPS_PRESET_ATI_HDMI },

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Microphone distorted sound on ALC892/1220 on AMD chipsets

Status in Linux:
  Confirmed
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Not sure if I'll report this upstream but there is definitely an issue
  with microphone recording on my desktop, this is not happening on my
  laptop which has a different codec.

  Already tried all workarounds possible, no luck. Only with my desktop
  with this particular motherboard. No issues in Windows, the sound
  recorded in there is distorted and has some static and robotic tone on
  high-pitch.

  alsa-info on the attachments