Please NOTE: the report is against gnome-shell, NOT indicator-multiload!

It's not so important to fix the indicator app. Rather, gnome-shell
needs to become sturdier.

There's a change to be made to gnome-shell so that it perseveres
assertion failures and keeps running.

Lurking around, I've seen plentiful variations of gnome-shell assertion-
crashing posted, with varying backtraces. I've also personally
witnessed, on multiple occasions, "Ubuntu dying" as they say, with very
similar symptoms and the exact same workaround, mv ~/.config{,.bugz}.

Mind that, in each of that crash story, reported and not, we've caused
suffering and disappointment in hundreds of people. The data is there at
errors.ubuntu.com waiting for you to check out.

Now that I've spent a day unearthing a concrete working reproducer, can
I expect a *PROPER FIX* for this disaster, not just a measly patch-over
as dozens of bugs before?

  Starting indicator-multiload (with peculiar config) crashes gnome-
  shell

  ## Steps to reproduce ##

  1. On bionic, apt install -y indicator-multiload dconf-editor
  2. dconf load /de/mh21/indicator-multiload/ < crasher.dconf-dump
  3. Run indicator-multiload

  ## Actual result ##

  Whole desktop crashes.

  gnome-shell dies with SIGABRT, logging this assertion failure:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1787512

  ## Expected result ##

  An applet appears, showing CPU/RAM load graphs.

  If not that -- an error is reported.

  If not that -- gnome-shell continues to work, rather than crashing and
  destroying everything unsaved I've been working on.

  The desktop should not crash because of one shitty program. Especially
  so if that program has put itself into ~/.config/autostart --
  effectively rendering the OS dead to a simpleton user.

  lsb_release -d: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
  gnome-shell version: 3.28.4-0ubuntu18.04.1
  indicator-multiload version: 0.4-0ubuntu5