The problem is not bionic specific (ibus 1.5.17). Myself has confirmed
it both on 19.04 (with ibus 1.5.19) and 19.10 (with ibus 1.5.21).

So the upstream commit which was backported breaks Qt, and AFAIK the
problem hasn't been resolved upstream yet.

Packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  IBus no longer works in Qt applications after upgrade

Status in ibus:
  New
Status in ibus package in Ubuntu:

  Kubuntu Release 18.04.3 LTS

  Expected behavior:
  ibus continues working as before after applying security update
1.5.17-ubuntu5.1 from version 1.5.17-ubuntu5.

  Observed behavior:
  ibus is not usable anymore in Qt applications.

  After updating ibus and the related packages ibus-gtk, ibus-gtk3,
libibus-1.0-5 and gir1.2-ibus-1.0 all from version 1.5.17-ubuntu5 to
1.5.17-ubuntu5.1, I can no longer use ibus in Qt applications. Using
shift-space no longer changes the selected input method and even when i switch
to the mozc input method in a gtk application, i can not use it in any Qt
applications.
  When starting qtconfig in a terminal, I also get the following message:

  Bus::open: Connect ibus failed!
  IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

  This bug was not present in version 1.5.17-3ubuntu5 and I also
  confirmed that downgrading the packages to version 1.5.17-3ubuntu4
  restores ibus functionality in Qt applications.

  Package: ibus 1.5.17-3ubuntu5.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.0.0-30.32~18.04.1-generic 5.0.21
  Uname: Linux 5.0.0-30-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Sat Sep 21 07:58:56 2019
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20190210)
  SourcePackage: ibus