> Can you revert that change in L10nRegistry.jsm and see if you can still
> reproduce? I doubt that this is the culprit because this change doesn't
> really affect anything except of protecting against race between sync/async.

Artifact build from current mozilla-central tip

1) Build and run
2) Create a new profile
3) In `about:config` set `intl.multilingual.enabled` to true
4) Install French language pack from the latest mozilla-central-l10n available,
luckily there might not be new DTD strings loaded on startup…. In my case this
worked
http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/2019/10/2019-10-04-09-46-56-mozilla-central-l10n/linux-x86_64/xpi/
5) Open preferences, switch the language to French and restart. At this point,
the browser should reopen on Preferences in French, but they're in English,
even after reloading the page.

I tried undoing the changes to L10nRegistry.jsm, but it didn't solve the issue.
But removing `data-l10n-sync="true"` from `browser/base/content/browser.xhtml`
seems to do it.
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/1f622156e9eab1d2c58d5d77bb5908fcc83db253#l4.13

  firefox 70.0 beta 11 isn't fully translated

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  (this was initially spotted by ricotz)

  I'm running firefox 70.0~b11+build1-0ubuntu0.19.10.1 from
  ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next with a French locale, and the UI is not
  fully translated to French. The chrome (menu items and address bar
  help text) as well as other parts of the UI (new tab page) are
  correctly translated, but other parts aren't, such as the
  about:preferences settings page. Other about: pages (such as
  about:mozilla or about:robots) are correctly translated. about:addons
  is partially translated.

  Fully translated:
   - menu items
   - address bar
   - about:mozilla
   - about:robots
   - about:compat
   - about:welcome
   - about:newtab
   - about:webrtc

  Partially translated:
   - about:addons

  Not translated:
   - about:preferences
   - about:cache
   - "new extensions won't work in private mode" popover
   - "what's new" popover
   - about firefox dialog

  Package: firefox 70.0~b11+build1-0ubuntu0.19.10.1 [origin:
LP-PPA-mozillateam-firefox-next]
  BuildID: 20190930191143
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Oct  2 18:27:45 2019
  DefaultProfileExtensions: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  DefaultProfileIncompatibleExtensions: Unavailable (corrupt or non-existant
compatibility.ini or extensions.sqlite)
  DefaultProfileLocales: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  DefaultProfilePrefErrors: Unexpected character ',' before close parenthesis @
/usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja:greprefs.js:930
  DefaultProfilePrefSources:
   /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref/vendor-gre.js
   /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js
  DefaultProfilePrefs: network.manage-offline-status: true
(/usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref/vendor-gre.js)
  DefaultProfileThemes: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Alpha amd64 (20180821)
  Profiles:
   Profile1 (Default) - LastVersion=None/None (Out of date)
   Profile0 - LastVersion=70.0/20190930191143 (In use)
  SourcePackage: firefox
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to eoan on 2019-06-05 (119 days ago)