Wolfgang Zukrigl, this is now fixed as the missing cross reference numbers
appear in both the attached document and a brand new one:
Version: 6.3.2.2 (x64)
Build ID: 98b30e735bda24bc04ab42594c85f7fd8be07b9c

If you need a fix for the bug in previous versions of Ubuntu, please
perform as much as possible of the SRU Procedure [1] to bring the need
to a developer's attention.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Procedure

** Changed in: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

  Error in Cross-Reference Dialog or in Fields>Other-Dialog when
  inserting Cross-References

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  How to reproduce the bug:
  Insert a picture (for example with Menue Insert > Picture > From File
  Right Click on the picture and select “Caption” and enter some text (for
example "Example picture one"). You get a footline to the picture wich says
“Illustration 1: Example picture one”.
  Repeat this for a second picture.
  Now try to add a cross-reference to one of the pictures: Place the cursor on
some free text-writing-area. Then menue Insert > Cross-reference. In the Type
field select “Illustration”. In the Selection field, the shown choices are not
“Illustration 1” and “Illustration 2” but “llustration 1” and “llustration 2”.
The first letter is missing. ...see screenshot

  This really turns into a problem, when I work with my own number-variables:
  In some text-area try:
  Select Menue Insert > Fields > Other, change to tab Variables. As Type select
“Number range”. Note that the above used “Illustration” is also such a number
range”. In the Name field type “Example” and push the button Insert. In another
Paragraph add also some of these Example-Number-Range-variables. You get the
numbers “1”, “2” and so on ...see second screenshot.
  Now try to make Cross-References to these numbers:
  Put the Cursor in another free text-writing-area and choose from the menu
Insert>Cross-reference. As Type choose “Example”. The Selection-Aea remains
empty. Expected behaviour: In the Selection Area the Numers 1, 2, and so on
appear and can be selected.

  My Ubuntu-Version. 12.04, I am using gnome-shell
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  Package: libreoffice 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1
  PackageArchitecture: i386
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-26.41-generic-pae 3.2.19
  Tags:  precise
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-26-generic-pae i686
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo