I've experienced same issue. Kept my machine running overnight with open
gnome-shells.

On the morning GPU-Util was about 95% and memory usage ~500 mb for each
tab

Cold start:
| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0      1422      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                            73MiB |
|    0      1640      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                         118MiB |
|    0      4194      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                           379MiB |
|    0      4326      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                         257MiB |

System:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic

5.0.0-31-generic x86_64

  Unreasonable NVIDIA GPU VRAM usage on gnome-shell

  GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB
  Ubuntu: 19.04, Kernel Linux luky-pc 5.0.0-8-generic #9-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 12
21:58:11 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  NVIDIA driver version: 418.56
  Display settings: BenQ XL2411Z, 144Hz monitor, 1920x1080p

  I have noticed this strange behavior only on gnome-shell where the overall
gnome-shell desktop VRAM usage was taking up to 1GB of GPU VRAM which does not
happen on other desktops, or on Windows, happens after some hours of normal
desktop usage
  Even the system RAM increases a lot during normal usage, but remains
acceptable

  This behaviour can be observed by using "nvidia-smi" a tool from the
  NVIDIA proprietary driver

  gnome-shell VRAM usage on a cold start: 139MB, + 9 MB
  X.org VRAM usage on cold start: 48MB + 18MB
  Total: 214MB

  gnome-shell VRAM usage after some hours of normal usage: 445MB + 83 MB
  X.org VRAM usage after some hours of normal usage: 244MB + 18MB
  Total: 800MB

  On windows or other desktops the GPU VRAM usage remains the same
  ---
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 19.04
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  Package: gnome-shell 3.32.0-1ubuntu1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
  Tags:  disco
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip libvirt lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True