Sounds like it could be an issue caused by the LibraryWatcher extension.
Could you try disabling it if you have it enabled and seeing if the
issue still occurs?

Packages, which is subscribed to banshee in Ubuntu.

  Duplicate song entries after modifying ID3 tags or importing audio CDs

Status in “banshee” package in Ubuntu:

  Hey there,
  whenever I import an audio CD the imported tracks appear twice in my music
library afterwards. This also happens sometimes when I change the ID3
information but this is hard to reproduce. In case of audio CDs it happens
every single time (at least it did the last seven times).
  I can make the duplicates disappear by letting Banshee rescan the library.

  Banshee version: 2.2.1
  Ubuntu version: 11.10