Robert Roth (evfool) found the right package, thanks. The man page
presents a number of options, but I'm not sure if any of them can be
used to force full screen usage, or a specific size. Either one might
prove useful in making the window resizable.

  "System Settings" window cannot resize

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  I don't know the technical details of this package. It is the default
  settings manager in Ubuntu 11.10, latest version as of 12/25/2011 at
  8:10 PM EST. This can be accessed by clicking the gear/power button
  icon in the upper right of the screen, and selecting the top option,
  "System Settings....". I am trying to make the window full screen, but
  I there is no maximize button, my maximize shortcut doesn't work,
  double-clicking the title bar doesn't work, and the window can't be
  resized through the edges of the window. I would have included the
  package name or looked at the man pages, but I can't figure out what
  package this is. I tried going under "help>about" as in most
  applications, but there is no menu bar. I even recognize the
  application from Ubuntu 10.10, which I no longer have installed, nor
  do I plan to install to fix this.

  You might be wondering why I'm even posting this bug report. The sound
  manager now exists solely in this application, and I have multiple
  audio devices. My most commonly used audio devices are my speakers,
  which is a 4.0 surround setup, a stereo Bluetooth headset, with
  microphone, and an HDMI port on my graphics card. Since I cannot
  resize the window, and the icons only have one size, I am forced to
  work with what I have. The audio devices are large blocks in a
  scrollable list, which could technically be replaced with medium sized
  icons. The HDMI and speaker devices have a number of useful options
  like left-right balance, front-back balance, and the connector type.
  These take up the majority of the bottom of the window, and could take
  up less space if their labels were moved to the left or right of the
  sliders they describe, rather than below each slider.

  The simplest and best solution, however is to simply make the
  application scalable. I have a rather large display and can afford to
  have all sorts of options lying around waiting to be put to good use.
  Some people have smaller screens, and will appreciate my suggestion to
  make icons smaller. In the even that smaller icons become available,
  however, make sure that the larger versions remain available. Just
  because tablets and phones are getting smaller doesn't meen you need
  to force lower resolutions: people are also trying to make HD TVs,
  increase screen size, and even bring HD to portable devices. Linux is
  a scalable environment: as more applications support Unity, more
  people will be willing to use it. Just make sure that those of us who
  built servers and gaming PCs aren't sitting at what might as well be a
  first generation iPod.