This user chrome is a real battery saver! Thanks! ...and the throbber in the
mouse pointer still tells me if thunderbird is busy.
---
If I understand this right we now have 2 things that are rendered in the same
thread and that use 100% of one CPU (indicated as 50% of the CPU power of a
2-CPU-System, 20% of the CPU power of a 5-cpu-system and 12,5% of the CPU power
of an 8-cpu one) if they get the chance of doing so. ...or was the progress
meter a Red Herring and it was only the throbber all along?

100% of one CPU normally doesn't indicate that something is amiss: The
CPU could be asleep 99% of the time and be busy 1% of the remaining
time. But the battery drain throbber+progress meter and generate seems
to indicate that the CPU won't sleep while there is indeterminate
progress...

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird: high CPU usage from progress bars

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: mozilla-thunderbird

  When sending a simple and short email with Thunderbird via SMTP the
  CPU is used intensively. This seems not to be necessary. If the
  sending failed and an corresponding error message dialog appears, the
  CPU is still being used. When pressing ok to close the error dialog
  the CPU is fine. This suggests it might be related specifically to the
  progress bar.  Such behavior is especially annoying on a laptop where
  you can hear the CPU usage because of a starting fan.