Glad I'm not the only one seeing this. This is very irritating. I guess
I'll be moving to Terminator for the time being.... Please fix this,
Ubuntu-team! It can't be  that difficult?

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  menubar settings for new terminals are ignored in gnome-shell

Status in “gnome-terminal” package in Ubuntu:

  In gnome-terminal settings, I always disable the "Show menubar by
  default in new terminals" option. This seems better ignored in Unity
  since it has its global menu anyway. But this option should not be
  ignored in gnome-shell, which it seems to be. I disable the option,
  open new terminals, but the menubar is visible! In the View menu, the
  "Show Menubar" option is unchecked. I have to *check* that option in
  the View menu, then *uncheck* it to finally get rid of the menubar in
  a terminal. If the option is *enabled*, then the option is *checked*
  in the View menu for new terminals.