Public bug reported:

Once in a while, Chromium "auto-restarts" to take advantage of new
features and especially apply security patches. This sounds like a great
feature only it currently has very bad repercussions (as in, it's
terribly bogus).

Steps to reproduce:

1. start Chromium
2. browse to various pages
3. let the app. sit there until it auto-restarts
4. from this point on, the app. is bogus, it's not able to save many different
things
5. restarting the app. will not see all changes you make between step 3 and 5
(see below)

Note that the duration of the session is probably not an issue in
itself. I think only the auto-restart feature is what causes all the
other issues.

The features I've noticed that broke completely after such a restart:

(1) Gnome Icon

The small arrow in the Chromium Icon from my Gnome toolbar (the bar
which by default is on the left side of the screen) disappears. That in
itself is not the end of the world except that this means I can't click
the icon to go back to my window. Clicking the icon opens a new
instance.

To fix this problem, you would have to run an additional binary. The
first binary has to remain in place to hold the icon as expected.
Without doing that, you lose the connection to Gnome. There may be other
methods to do that. It may also be because you close the old connection
to X-Windows and Gnome views that as "now you're gone". Either way, this
is not too important to me and it's not a big bad bug in itself.

(2) Trying to Install Extensions generates: "Could not create download
directory"

As such, this error doesn't sound too bad. You should be able to tweak
your directory and make sure that it's writable. The fact is that my
download directory was just fine. However, it looks like Chrome doesn't
think it is.

My take is that Chrome has a form of lock and the old lock is still in
place making it impossible for new version to access the folders that
are locked.

This is rather bad since many functionalities may be affected by this.
I've only noticed the problem with downloading extensions, but it is not
unlikely that other features are also affected in a similar manner.

(3) Changing Settings

As I was in that situation, I thought I would change my "On Startup"
settings so that I could get my windows back on a restart. That way the
restart is mostly transparent. Oh but...

The changes to the settings did not take; while still using Chromium it
looked like it was properly changed, but it was not auto-saved as it
ought to be. I am thinking that a similar lock (as mentioned in the
previous section) is still in place and it prevents the settings from
being saved.

(4) Non-Existent History

After my restart, the windows did not come back. That is, I only got two
windows from a while back... Not the newest windows as I would expect.
(i.e. all the windows at the time I last closed the browser).

So I decided to check out the history. Nothing. I could only see history
from many days ago. Again, my take is that when we had that background
auto-restart of Chromium, it was not able to access the history file. It
kept the history in memory and never told anyone it couldn't save it
anywhere. (Maybe the logs are also affected... I've not checked. But
that could explain why developers did not notice and I would imagine
that developers open/close the app. all the time).

I think this is the worst one. I like to have my history so I can go
back to pages where I have been in the past. I don't always use it, but
in this very situation I was interested by one specific page and the
link is gone.

-----

Note 1: I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 using the Chromium snap version
78.0.3904.108 (64 bit).

Note 2: I insist that changing the Download folder had no effects.
That's not the issue in this case. Also, I could download files and they
would go in my ~/Downloads folder as expected. No problem on that one.

** Affects: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

** Tags: auto-restart

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Chromium auto-restart feature breaks many features

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu: