It is not easy to implement this automatically, but we are already
keeping an eye on adwaita icon theme

** Changed in: yaru-theme (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to yaru-theme in Ubuntu.

  Keep track of upstream adwaita-icon-theme

Status in Yaru Theme:
  New
Status in yaru-theme package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Since Yaru is now syncing with upstream adwaita-gtk and gnome-shell
  themes, I think it would be a good idea to also keep an eye on
  upstream adwaita-icon-theme.

  adwaita-icon-theme mostly contains symbolic and action icons that correspond
to code changes in gnome-shell, gnome-control-center and the rest of gnome
apps. In every gnome development cycle, adwaita-icon-theme adds, fixes, or
enhances its symbolic icons in order to reflect the code changes in the gnome
stack. adwaita-icon-theme does not contain app icons since gnome apps ship
their own icons.

  An example to elaborate:

  In the 3.34 development cycle, gnome added new battery icons in order to
better represent the battery charge states:
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita-icon-theme/issues/6

  That has resulted in:

  21 new battery icons in adwaita-icon-theme and moving the legacy battery
icons to a legacy folder:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita-icon-theme/commit/377044f755c3ec994f661d787f50e633487b929d

  Code changes in gnome-shell to use the new icons, if available, and fall back
to the existing icon names for compatibility with older icon themes:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/commit/bd18313d125aa1873c21b9cce9bbf81a335e48b0

  Without reflecting the new changes in Yaru*, gnome-shell would still be
falling back to the legacy icons, and not showing a better charge state as a
result.
  * https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/issues/1482